Are you trying to lose weight? But are you finding it difficult to control your appetite?
And you end up eating more than you are actually supposed to! So what can you do about controlling your appetite? Take pills, starve? In fact none of these are required neither will they work.
The saying “we are what we eat” is very true. Eating right is an art. You just have to learn to eat the right food at the right time so your appetite is under control and you don’t feel hungry.
Let’s learn about few tips to appetite control:
- Eat more—Frequently: This means eat small frequent meals. Our body requires energy, protein, and various nutrients to perform different functions. These nutrients are derived from food. But when you eat large amount of food in a day, you provide your body with excess energy and nutrients.Your body utilizes the required energy and rest is stored in the form of fat. So eat less quantity of food but more number of times. This does not give your body a chance to store the excess in form of fat and by this way even your appetite is controlled as you will be anyways eating many numbers of meals a day.
- Do not skip meals-Skipping meals and going too long without food can make it hard for you to resist food. You may end up craving and compulsive overeating.
Especially do not skip breakfast. It is the most important meal of the day. People who eat breakfast are less likely to overeat later in the day. An ideal healthy breakfast is high in carbohydrates, has some protein and fat, and provides about one-fourth of your daily calories.
But what to eat would be your next question! Read on…..
- Eat more whole grains and less refined flour: Whole grains like brown rice, wheat etc are not only higher in nutrients but also richer in fiber content. So this makes a healthier choice than the refined ones as they lose out their nutrients and fiber as well. Opt for brown bread, whole wheat pasta, brown rice rather than white bread, white rice etc. This will keep you fuller for long. And recent research indicates that brain cells which controls appetite becomes damaged as we age especially when we are on a carbohydrate rich diet.
- Chew that fruit and eat your veggies: Rather than having fruit juices go for whole fruits. Juices lose out their fiber content and make you feel hungrier easily. Vegetables are loaded with nutrients and antioxidants. This will not only boost your health but also will make you feel full. Vegetables like green leafy vegetables are lesser in calories and higher in fiber. [High Fiber Diet]
- Drink more water: Many a times thirst is mistaken as hunger. It is the cheapest and the healthiest way to control your appetite. Go for foods like soups which are higher in its water content. These foods makes you feel full easily, loading your body with lesser calories. Drink a glass of water before every meal; this makes you feel satiated easily.
- Eat protein rich foods: Protein rich foods like lean meat, egg white, fish, soy and pulses promotes satiety. Avoid red meat and organ meat as they are higher in fat as well.
- Reduce the variety of flavors in a given meal: Some researchers have shown that certain appetite inducing hormones are activated when we eat foods with too many different flavors. May be this can explain why people eat much more than their general appetite on a holiday and yet have space for dessert.
- Eat slowly: Research has proved that eating slowly suppresses appetite. Eating food slowly allows brain to analyze whether your stomach is full or not.
- Sleep well: Last but not the least get adequate sleep. It has been proved that people who get adequate sleep have more control over their appetite.