With weight loss being impermanent for many who lose weight and with weight loss surgery becoming ever more popular, here are the best new surgical and non surgical weight loss procedures to treat obesity:
1. Sleeve Gastrectomy or Gastric Sleeve is among the most recent surgical options, wherein the stomach size is reduced to the point that it looks like a small tube. Not only does it make you eat less, it also reduces hunger by preventing the secretion of the hunger hormone ghrelin.
2. The EndoBarrier Gastrointestinal Liner is an endoscopic, non surgical treatment that uses Teflon like liner to place a barrier between food and the part of the small intestine responsible for digestion. This barrier can be removed when no longer required.
3. TOGA is another incision free, less invasive weight loss treatment which involves endoscopic stapling of the stomach to reduce its capacity.
4. POSE (Primary Obesity Surgery, Endolumenal) procedure is again endoscopic and requires no incision and which reduces the size of the stomach.
5. Gastric Plication Surgery involves no stitching, stapling or removal, and is a very low cost option and therefore very popular. This is a “Gastric Sleeve” that resembles Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy but is minimally invasive.