Normal cholesterol level should be maintained as it helps in maintaining healthy body.
If you want to know your normal cholesterol level, then first you have to know about cholesterol.
A fat that does not dissolve readily in the blood is cholesterol.
Cholesterol performs lot of essential functions that are mentioned here:
- Cholesterol helps you in building protective membrane for every cell, to protect cell from various substances.
- Cholesterol helps in keeping water from leaving your body too quickly.
- The basic important hormones produced in your adrenal glands, ovaries and testis are provided by normal cholesterol level.
- Your body can make vitamin D by maintaining normal cholesterol level.
So, you should not eliminate cholesterol from your body; maintain normal cholesterol level that helps you in getting right balance of cholesterol in your blood. By maintaining normal cholesterol level, you can achieve healthier arteries and as a result healthier organs.
Best way for keeping your arteries healthy:
Cholesterol travels through your body, but it does not dissolve in your blood. Cholesterol is therefore attached to the fatty proteins such as high density lipoproteins (HDL cholesterol) and low density lipoproteins (LDL cholesterol).
- Cholesterol, which moves safely through your body and keeps cholesterol as liquid is HDL cholesterol. HDL cholesterol helps in attaching cholesterol to your artery walls and do not allow to get loose. HDL cholesterol is called as good cholesterol.
- If you consider LDL cholesterol, it is not beneficial as it sets the stage for mineral and fat deposits and can lead to damage of artery walls.
Hence, the best way to keep your arteries healthy is, by reducing your LDL cholesterol and increasing HDL cholesterol that is maintaining normal cholesterol level.
Normal cholesterol level for being healthy:
You can check your cholesterol level by blood test. You should ask for a lipid profile, prior to drawing blood for your next blood test. By taking lipid profile, you can take the measures of overall cholesterol level including HDL cholesterol level and LDL cholesterol level.
You can keep your cholesterol levels in balance by maintaining healthy lifestyle. Normal cholesterol level is as much as about your genetics and about what you do. So, here are the guidelines for maintaining normal levels of cholesterol.
- 135-200 mg/dl of the total cholesterol level should be maintained for being healthy.
- Less than 130 mg/dl of the LDL cholesterol (bad cholesterol) should be maintained.
- Greater than 30 mg/dl of the HDL cholesterol (good cholesterol) should be maintained. You can reduce the risk of coronary heart disease by lowering the LDL cholesterol level.
If you are a male, then ratio of total cholesterol/HDL cholesterol should be 4.0-6.0 and 3.7-5.7, if you are a female. The important indicator for your health is this ratio. This ratio is a good indicator for the potential level of cholesterol as LDL cholesterol can damage your arteries and HDL cholesterol helps your arteries.
Hence maintain normal cholesterol levels in order to be healthy.