You can reduce your high cholesterol levels by following a healthy diet.
You have to choose the correct type of dietary food essential for your body and you have to reduce the intake of high cholesterol foods.
In cholesterol diet method, you should include regular amount of vegetables, fresh fruits and soluble fiber (dietary fiber) in your daily diet.
You have to make improvements in your lifestyle with some changes such as weight reduction if you are over weight or obese, normalizing consumption of alcohol and quitting smoking.
Calories necessary for lower cholesterol diet:
In lower cholesterol diet, you should prefer to take 1200 calories per day. You have to take 22 grams of total fat, 4 grams of saturated fat and 120 mg of dietary cholesterol per day. Every meal in the diet should be accompanied by its calorie, saturated fat, total fat and cholesterol content.
Foods that you should prefer to lower cholesterol level in your body:
- To lower cholesterol in your body you must go for low saturated fats such as fish, lean meats, skinless poultry, shellfish and whole grain foods in your daily diet.
- Eat the foods which are high in soluble fats such as oranges, oats, brussel sprouts, carrots and pears.
- In low cholesterol diet process, avoid eating whole meat, chicken, dairy products and tropical oils which are high in saturated fats.
- Low cholesterol diet should be loaded with vegetables, fruits, beans, whole grains, nuts, deep water fish, flaxseeds, leafy greens and mono saturated fat sources such as olives.
- Prefer to choose the diet which has high complex carbohydrates in them to lower the cholesterol level in your body.
- Check your weight regularly.
Tips for lower cholesterol diet:
- Limit the high cholesterol foods such as full-fat dairy products, liver and organic meats, egg yolks and high processed fat meats such as hot dogs, sausage, salami and bologna.
- Store stews, meats and soups in refrigerators for overnight or several hours. By doing this the fats will get deposited on the top. Remove them from the top of the surface and start serving or eating.
- In lower cholesterol diet, use low fat substitutes such as skimmed milk instead of whole milk, 1% fat or low fat butter milk, etc. if you are interested to add cheese then include nonfat or light cream cheese.
- Use two egg whites instead of using whole egg with yolk.
- Use nonstick cooking spray instead of margarine, Oil or other fat.
- Instead of canola oil or butter, try to use light margarine.
Other than diet, exercise is also an important factor to lower cholesterol level in your body. Regular practice of exercise will improve your physical fitness and helps to reduce your cholesterol levels.
Lower cholesterol diet is the ideal diet for any person who desires to decrease their cholesterol and lose fat at the best possible speed.