The diet for high cholesterol helps in increasing good cholesterol levels. The diet for high cholesterol is TLC diet (therapeutic lifestyle changes diet) that is recommended if you have high risk of cardiovascular disease.
Some of the causes of the cholesterol are high stress, alcoholism and food.
High cholesterol can also cause due to the physical inactivity, being overweight, drinking alcohol excessively and smoking.
You can reduce the risk of high cholesterol by doing regular exercises which enhances good cholesterol and reduces the bad cholesterol. You can use diet for high cholesterol as it provides your body good cholesterol [Cholesterol Reduction].
Follow the below sample menu for following diet for high cholesterol:
The below menu contains 2200 total calories, in that 25% of the calories are from total fat.
Diet for high cholesterol breakfast menu:
- In this menu, prefer taking half cup of oatmeal along with non fat milk mixed with brown sugar and sliced bananas.
- You can also prefer coffee latte with one cup of non fat milk.
Diet for high cholesterol lunch menu:
- Diet for high cholesterol lunch menu includes sandwich, which is made from two slices whole wheat bread, lean turkey of two ounces, mayonnaise of one tablespoon, lettuce and tomato.
- You can include carrot sticks and fruits to this lunch.
Diet for high cholesterol snack menu:
- You can take one cup of non fat vanilla yogurt.
- You can also prefer half cup mixed raisins and peanuts.
Diet for high cholesterol dinner menu:
- Diet for high cholesterol dinner menu includes three ounces baked salmon and one cup of cooked brown rice.
- You must take one cup of cooked broccoli.
- While cooking, you can use one tablespoon of olive oil.
- Half cup of romaine lettuce, half cup of tomatoes, quarter cup of cucumber, one tablespoon of vinegar and oil dressing are used to make salad.
- Use one teaspoon of margarine for one slice of Italian bread.
Follow above menu for helping you in reducing your blood cholesterol level.
Some of the food groups which help you in diet for high cholesterol are lean meat, poultry, fish and dry beans, eggs, low fat milk, yogurt, cheese, fats and oils, fruits, vegetables, breads, cereals, pasta, rice, sweets and snacks [Low cholesterol diet].
You should follow some of the instructions for TLC diet:
- You should take less than 7% of the saturated fats from total calories.
- From fat, 25-35% of the day’s total calories should be chosen.
- You should consider diet with dietary cholesterol of about 200 milligrams in a day.
- Diet for high cholesterol should be included with 2400 milligrams of limited sodium in a day.
For following a diet for high cholesterol, you have to take enough calories for maintaining healthy weight. You have to increase the good cholesterol as small increase of good cholesterol also reduces the risk of heart attacks.
You should maintain diet for high cholesterol when your cholesterol levels are low also because you have to face risk of heart attacks when your cholesterol levels increase.