Hypothyroidism occurs when the levels of the two thyroid hormones thyroxine and triiodothyrorine are very low. In order to control this problem, one can follow many methods and one of them is making changes in diet. While on one hand, it is important to include certain foods in diet but at the same time, avoiding of some items too is important to treat or reduce hypothyroidism. The following are the best diet tips for hypothyroidism.
Foods to Include
- Selenium-it is important to include small amount of selenium to treat hypothyroidism as it is needed for the enzymes that make thyroid hormones to function properly. Some selenium foods that you can eat include Brazil nuts and sunflower seeds etc.
- Tyrosine-tyrosine is an amino acid which is used by the thyroid gland to produce T4 and T3. You can take a supplement to include this amino acid in your diet.
- Antioxidant rich fruits and vegetables-there are many fruits and vegetables full of antioxidants that can help improve overall health and treat hypothyroidism. Some of them include blueberries, bell peppers, tomatoes and foods rich in B Vitamins including whole grains etc.
Foods to Avoid
- Soy-soy containing foods can inhibit the activity of an enzyme that makes thyroid hormones and hence must be avoided.
- Iodine rich foods-some types of this disease are caused by a lack of iodine but eating too much of it can suppress thyroid gland activity and hence iodine rich foods must be avoided.
- Iron and calcium supplements-taking calcium or iron supplements can also change the effectiveness of many thyroid medications and must be avoided.
- High fiber foods-usually a high fiber diet proves good for the health but for those with hypothyroidism, these foods must be avoided because high fiber can interfere with the absorption of thyroid medicines.
- Certain vegetables-some vegetables which are rich in fiber like broccoli, spinach, kale and Brussels can again inhibit the absorption of thyroid drugs and must be avoided. Besides this some others too like cabbage must be avoided.
Caffeine, alcohol and tobacco can also influence the effectiveness of medications for the thyroid problem and must be limited as much as possible. But people with this condition can choose to be vegetarians or non vegetarians, whatever they prefer. Also they can continue eating protein rich foods and avoid allergy causing ingredients.