The 48 hour diet, also known as the Hollywood Diet, claims to make you lose as much as 10 pounds in 48 hours.
It is used for both weight loss and for detoxifying, as it washes away toxins and fat within the body through a diuretic juice formula made from fruits, antioxidants, oils, vitamins, and minerals.
The 48 hour diet is not meant to be done regularly, but rather as a crash diet and detoxifying method, so you can give your digestive and circulatory systems a break and start anew.
It also claims to help restore biochemical processes in your body, and provide minerals to your blood as well.
Benefits of the 48 Hour Diet:
- You will lose several pounds within just 48 hours.
- You will be able to flush out excess toxins from your system.
Disadvantages of the 48 Hour Diet:
- All the weight you lose on the 48 hour diet is actually just water weight. Many who have done the 48 hour diet claimed to gain it all back upon resuming their normal eating habits the next day. You will notice the results fast but it will be difficult to maintain them once you are back to regular eating habits.
- Although it claims to replenish your body with nutrients, the juice itself severely lacks in many other minerals and vitamins that may make you feel weak and fatigued. If you decide to do the 48 hour diet, you may be better off staying at home and close to a toilet.
- The 48 hour diet is a diuretic, and no diuretic has ever been advised to be a healthy and safe weight loss plan. The body is made up of 90% water, and flushing out extreme amounts of liquid while only taking in liquid in such a short period of time will undoubtedly leave one feeling drained, weak, and tired. You are more prone to dehydration since you drink limited amount of water.
- The 48 hour diet has also been reported to make one have intense food cravings, automatically backfiring on the foundation of the diet. The diet can make you feel hungry that after 48 hours you will be wolfing down foods to satisfy your intense cravings for them. So you might as well gain those pounds you have shed off.
There is no known safe and healthy way that one can lose such a dramatic amount of weight in just a few days. It is unhealthy, and more frustratingly, a temporary solution that may even trigger one to gain more weight than they had lost in 48 hours.
There are many “miracle cures” available in the market today, but be wary, as they also have many side effects, such as this 48 hour diet. A healthy weight loss plan includes a balance of all food groups, and combines exercise with a smart diet.
Keeping this in mind and learning about the importance of various food groups is the right approach to a long-term commitment to health and longer life.