Everyone has their own weak spot when it comes to food; whether it is sweets, potato chips, sushi, steak, pizza, or pasta.
Unfortunately, having any type of food group too often can be detrimental to our weight and of course, our health.
For die-hard pasta fanatics out there, there’s no need to worry. The increased demand for delicious yet healthy types of food has penetrated the market, and we now have so much to choose from such as low carb pasta.
Low carb pasta is a great alternative to the complex carbohydrates found in regular types of pasta, and they taste great too! For many people, the new varieties of low carb pasta on the market are so good that they can’t even tell the difference.
If you are embarking on a low calorie diet, undoubtedly low carb pasta is your best bet if you still want to satisfy your cravings[food craving] for great tasting pasta.
This of course does not mean that you can eat much more of other types of complex carbohydrates; take in a holistic approach, add exercise to your routine, and you will see effects in just a few weeks. Low carb pasta is also suitable to diabetics because of its low sugar content.
Savor every bite with these tips
- Eating low carb pasta would defeat its purpose if you splurge on fattening toppings and sauces, which make or break any pasta dish. You can still have savory pasta dishes by using non-fat or low-calorie ingredients. Use lean meat, tuna, turkey, or skinless chicken instead of high-calorie sausages, pork, and red meat.
- Experiment with vegetables, which are nutritious and give you 25% less calories than regular pasta dishes. Onions, garlic, mushroom, and bell peppers are great with any pasta dish. Be careful with your choice of cheeses. Go for low-fat cheeses and use them sparingly.
- The sauce is the key to mouthwatering pasta. When it comes to cooking up tasty sauce for your low carb pasta dishes, sky’s the limit. Think of the flavorings that many herbs and spices can add, such as pesto for low carb pasta, and even delicious tomato-based ratatouille sauce. Fresh and dried herbs can add more flavor to your dish while giving it a delightful aroma at the same time.
There are many recipes for low carb pasta sauces online. Here’s a recipe for lip smacking good low fat lasagna:
1 pound of cooked ground meat (good for 6 servings)
For each serving:
½ cup sugar-free spaghetti sauce
1/3 cup ricotta cheese
¼ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1 cup cooked spaghetti squash or your choice of low carb pasta alternative
2 tablespoons parmesan cheese
- Cook the low carb pasta;
- Cook the meat and use salt and pepper to taste; drain any excess water;
- Heat the ricotta using a microwave;
- Layer the following in a bowl: pasta, ricotta, ground meat, mozzarella, pasta sauce, and finally the parmesan.