As soon as you hear the word ‘Green Tea’, an image of an extremely healthy tea comes to mind. A lot of studies and many doctors might advise you to go on a Green Tea Diet but is Green Tea really so safe and good for us? Not necessarily. Like any other thing in the world, going on a Green Tea diet too can have certain negative side effects and dangers.
Green tea is considered beneficial mainly because it has an effect on the immune system but this very reason also makes it slightly dangerous. The following given information will stress further on the possible side effects and dangers of Green tea.
- Drinking too much of Green Tea is not considered very safe for most people since it can cause certain side effects due to the presence of Caffeine in it. Some of the side effects that drinking more than 5 cups of Green Tea everyday can cause are headaches, heartburn, tremors, vomiting, diarrhea, nervousness, irritability and even dizziness.
- It is true that having Green Tea in moderate amounts is beneficial for the health but it can cause stomach aches and the problem or constipation in some people. It may lead to an upset stomach and can also have effect on the digestive system of certain individuals.
- Green Tea Extracts have been reported to cause liver related issues in some rare cases and this too is one of the possible dangers that is associated with going on a Green tea diet.
- Also, Green tea has been found to reduce the absorption of iron from the food we consume and this too is one of the side effects of having too much of it in a day, on a regular basis. Infact, drinking high doses of green tea is very unsafe and possibly fatal.
- In some cases and through some studies, it has been found that having more than 5 cups of green tea every day, for a long period of time can interfere with certain medications as well. For pregnant women, having more than 2 cups of green tea per day is possibly unsafe and must be avoided. If a pregnant woman has more than this quantity, then it may lead to an increased risk of miscarriage.
- Even breast feeding mothers are advised not to have more than 2 cups of Green Tea per day as the caffeine tends to pass into the breastmilk and can affect the nursing infant.