Diet supplements or dietary supplements are those medicines or pills which consist of important nutrients or minerals which the body might need for its working and sustenance. Whenever the body is running low on a particular nutrient or needs a nutrient in excess to combat a disease, diet supplements come to the rescue and replenish the quantity of that nutrient.
But since there are so many companies producing diet supplement these days, it is important to make the selecton properly so as to pick the best, safest and most effective one. The following are some factors to consider when selecting diet supplements:
- The first step is to select a manufacturer which follows the International Good Manufacturing Practices and is reputed and trusted. A good manufacturer will pass quality, purity and composition tests and will have no potential negative effects. These brands use high quality ingredients and manufacturing practices and are available at reputed drug stores.
- Another factor to consider before purchasing diet supplements is to choose those with the minimal amount of or no fillers or excipients. Fillers or excipients are harmful and inert substances that are added to supplements and some of them include talcum powder, titanium dioxide and methylparaben.
- The supplement that you select or buy must get dissolved easily and should effectively distribute the nutrients as designed. Ideally, a tablet should dissolve within thirty minutes of consumption but if it doesn’t get dissolved within this period of time, then you must select another brand or manufacturer.
- Another factor to consider before buying a diet supplement is to read the label very carefully. If you are not sure how to read a label, then you can take expert advice on the same. Always check for ingredients you are allergic to or those which you are not allowed to take.
- Reading the expiration date of the supplements is also extremely important. The date is always mentioned and if it isn’t, then it is probably a good idea not to buy the product. Most supplements lose their potency with time, due to exposure to sunlight and also due to humidity.
- If possible, always ask your doctor or any other learned individual in this field before choosing or taking a certain dietary supplement. This is a good way to be sure and also to avoid any possible harmful effects that the supplement may have on you.